Basbousa is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake. It is made from a semolina batter and sweetened with orange flower water or rose water simple syrup. It is so soft that it just melts in your mouth. This recipe is must try.
Ingredients Of Basbousa
- 1 3/4 cups coarse semolina/sooji
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup plain yogurt (or you can mix half yogurt and half milk)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup almonds, blanched and peeled, optional
Ingredients For Sugar Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla or rosewater (you can even use any other flavoring that you prefer, like saffron or cardamom)
Method Of Basbousa
- First, prepare the syrup. Combine the water, sugar and lemon juice in a small pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and gently simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Then turn off the heat, stir in the rosewater or vanilla essence and set the syrup aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix together the semolina, flour, baking powder, sugar, coconut, and salt. In a small jug, mix the liquid ingredients, yogurt, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and then gradually add the liquid ingredients while mixing with a spatula or wooden spoon to form a thick batter.
- Pour and level out the batter in a greased 11×7 inch pan and lightly score the top with diamond or square-shaped cuts. Press a whole almond in the middle of each square or diamond. Then cover and set the pan aside for half an hour. This helps the semolina to absorb the liquids. In the meantime, preheat the oven at 180 C.
- Uncover the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Then remove from the oven and carefully cut all the way through the marks you had made earlier. Pour the cooled syrup as evenly as possible all over the hot basbousa. Then place the pan back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting out the pieces and serving.