Prawns are an extremely good source of protein, yet are very low in fat and calories, making them a very healthy choice of food.Prawns do contain a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, but these fatty acids are good for you and help prevent against heart disease, circulatory diseases and many other types of illnesses.Prawns also contains high levels of vitamin B12, zinc, iodine, phosphorous, potassium, selenium and iron and have smaller quantities of calcium, magnesium and sodium.Many of these vitamins are essential for healthy skin, bones and teeth.
- 1kg raw prawns
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2tbs sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2ts grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Remove heads from prawns. Peel and devein, leaving the tails intact.
- Combine the juice,oil, garlic, ginger, salt and black pepper in a jug and mix well.
- Place the prawns in a bowl, add the marinate and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cook the prawns on a hot barbecue or lightly greased grill for 3-5 minutes, or until pink and cooked, brushing frequently with the marinate mixture.
- Serve hot, garnished with lime and herbs if desired. Serve with the dip of your choice.
Tip: Cook and eat prawns within 24 hours of purchase.