Ingredients Of Christmas Café Au Lait
- 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 strip orange peel,
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups hot brewed strong coffee
- 1/4 cup cold heavy cream
- Ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Cocoa, for garnish
Method Of Christmas Café Au Lait
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, 2/3 cup of the sugar, and cocoa until smooth.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, orange peel and cloves and bring to a simmer, stirring, to dissolve the sugar and prevent the cocoa from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat, cover, and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream with 1 teaspoon sugar until thick and frothy, and peaks form. Set aside.
- Strain the milk mixture into a coffee pot or carafe and add 2 cups of the hot coffee (2 1/2 cups for stronger coffee flavor, to taste).
- Pour into cups or small mugs and top each with a dollop of the sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with ground cinnamon and cocoa.