Ingredients Of Classic Mayonnaise
- 2 medium very fresh egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Method Of Classic Mayonnaise
- Whisk egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric whisk, add oil, first drop by drop, then in a slow, steady stream. (If mixture curdles or splits, add a little hot water and beat vigorously.)
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 days.
Use the recipe above for homemade mayonnaise adding 3 – 6 crushed cloves of garlic to the beaten egg yolks and salt. Proceed as above.
Using the top recipe for homemade mayonnaise, instead of 1 – 2 tsp of mustard, increase this to 1 tbsp and then add 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Tabasco.