≡ Menu

How To Prevent Jewelry Allergy

Advertisements

If your favorite bracelet turns your wrist green and your best earrings give you skin eruptions, have no fear. Jewelry allergy is one of the most common allergies women faced. You are likely to develop contact dermatitis when your skin comes in contact with some types of jewelry.This dermatitis is a result of an allergic reaction to the nickel found in many types of jewelry.Nickel allergies are very common and can occur at any age.

gold-allergies-760220 

Take the following precautions and wear your favorite jewelry anytime:

Stick To The Good Stuff

You can insist that all your jewelry be either sterling silver or at least 14 karat gold. That’s the most effective remedy. 

Try Stainless Steel

Try wearing stainless steel or plastic backs on your earrings, and purchase earrings that have stainless steel posts as well.Although stainless steel contains nickel, it’s bound so tightly that it doesn’t leach out.

Try Clear Nail Polish

You can paint your jewelry with clear nail polish, so that the skin is never in contact with the offending metal.

Protect Your Skin

Consider electroplating sentimental or really good pieces of jewelry. Take your ring, etc to a jeweler and see if a new layer of good metal can be applied to the contact surface. This prevents leaching of the nickel particles onto your skin, at least for a while.

Wear It Part Time

Take your jewelry off when you don’t absolutely need to be wearing it. Diminished contact with the skin decreases the amount of allergen you are exposed to.

Pretreat Your Skin

Pretreat the skin with prescription cortisone cream, then treat the skin again three to six hours later. That will build up resistance so that the jewelry can be worn for a few hours.

Stay Dry

Keep your skin dry where your skin touches the metal. Placing your hands into a sink full of water allows metal ions to be better absorbed into the skin.

Moisturize

Wear a good layer of protective moisturizing cream. The better the barrier between you and the metal, the less likely the reaction will be bothersome.

Avoid Wearing Fitted Jewelry

Do not wear tight earrings, rings or chains and leave a little space so that air passes through it.

Home Remedy

Apply a paste made of 3 table spoons of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of water to relieve symptoms of the allergy.

Advertisements

  • Lisa Hansen April 19, 2010, 7:53 am

    Hi there. Just wanted to offer advice to other people out there who have nickel allergies. Instead of constantly worrying about sweating, buying hypo-allergenic jewelry and putting barrier creams on, you can create a barrier on the jewelry itself. I’ve heard that a lot of people use the old clear nail polish technique. This is so unfortunate, as I’m sure it ruins the jewelry. Kind of a shame, esp if you’re using it on wedding rings or family heirlooms. Anyway there’s a product out there now called Super Surface Eco and it was developed in Japan. It was now recently made available on the internet and you can purchase it using PayPal and have it shipped to North America. The price is more than you’d pay for a product in North America but the components in the product is what makes the difference. It contains quartz, not cheap resins, like a lot of those $5.00 products out there on the internet. It will last much much longer and you won’t have to worry about ruining your nice jewelry. Here’s the website for any of those interested:

    http://glassskin.net/english/about.html

    Hope it works for you too!

  • Hoshiko May 6, 2012, 4:55 pm

    Buyer beware! I have tried to look into this Super Surface Eco stuff and have noticed that not only can I not find any information on it, but have run into this EXACT quote by Lisa Hansen on different sites and forums under different names. Seems like someone is copy and pasting the message to advertise, not to give testimonial. Not saying it does/doesn’t work, just seems a little fishy. So, be careful before spending all that money.

    • Lisa Hansen September 20, 2012, 11:59 pm

      Hi Hoshiko. Lisa here. Two years ago, a Japanese acquaintance who was retailing the product gave me a bottle as a gift. I’m quite allergic to various metals, especially earrings. It was the only thing that worked for me. Indeed I was helping him to get the word out in English, to areas outside of Japan. Forums seemed like a good bet, since that’s where I usually search for information and reviews. However I’m not sure if the product is available outside of Japan anymore, as there is no longer any web presence in English.

  • Karen June 15, 2012, 9:52 pm

    I bought it and just coated 8 pieces of my jewelry with it. I can’t tell you yet if it works or not… I want to make sure totally dry etc plus will probably wait until we get back from a trip to wear any of them. (I don’t want to chance getting hives or a rash before my big vacation)
    So far it looks pretty good though, I was worried might make my chains stick or not flow/clasp as smoothly. But if anything my jewelry looks shinier and prettier. I had e-mailed them with some questions prior to spending that whopping $60+ (yah, pretty pricey, but if it really works I’m totally fine with that). It’s a really small bottle but I was able to apply to: 1 “Skagen” watchband (thick), 1 20″ thick rope chain, 1 22″ serpentine chain, two Krementz rose/detailed bracelets, 2 antique cuff bracelets, and a multi-rope chain (I don’t think I got all of the multi-rope but most of it)
    I will try to remember to come back here and leave a follow-up in a couple of weeks time.

    I also do agree that the “Lisa” comment was left in a lot of places. That doesn’t bother me since it’s a new Japanese product they are probably just trying to get the word out. So far I am liking what I see but will try to remember to come back later on.

  • Karen August 29, 2012, 4:55 pm

    OK I am back to finish my review. The Super Surface Eco stuff, worked well on my non-bendable jewelry (rings, cuff bracelets, etc). In other words, items without links. However I sadly managed to ruin 2 necklaces, the reason is that once this stuff thoroughly dried it no longer allows my necklaces to hang right or “flow”… instead of draping nicely as they should. The liquid is clear but got in-between the links of my chain items and now they are very stiff. And so if you buy it, make sure to only use it on rings, cuff or bangle bracelets etc that don’t need to bend and move. I haven’t had any allergy issues on these items since coating so on that note, am very pleased. I just wish I hadn’t ruined two of my neck chains with this whole experiment.

Leave a Comment