How to take care of yourself in old age
It is said that the old age creeps up on a person like a thief in the night, however there are signs and clues that one has to pay attention to as “old age” sets in. It’s an old saying that “old is gold”, so if you follow the following steps you can turn your old age into gold years.
Take good care of your body
- Keep yourself clean.
- Exercise regularly and in moderation.
- Eat less food, but it must be balanced and nutritious.
- Dieting, if you are overweight must be very gradual and supervised. Never crash diet in old age.
- Eliminate bad habits like drinking alcohol, smoking, gambling, taking opium, sleeping pills or narcotics etc.
- Go for regular check-ups and blood tests to your family doctor, at least once a year.
- Maintain a positive mental outlook
- Keep up your hobbies.
- Learn new things you enjoy, e.g. music, painting, cooking, writing, dancing, singing etc.
- Join volunteer groups.
- See new places, travel.
- Laugh daily, it’s the best medicine.
- Spend time with young children or get a pet.
- Grow flowers and vegetables, even if only in a flower pot.
- Write letters to friends and relatives.
- Do new, fun things at least once a week.
- Read good books.
- Play some light sports, cards, chess or other board games.
- Go to a mosque or church or community center.
Follow the positive words
- Yes, I can
- It is wonderful
- How beautiful
- Very fascinating
- How relaxing
- I feel much better
- I am getting stronger
Avoid negative thinking
- I can’t
- I am afraid
- It is not possible
- It’s getting worse
- I don’t like it
- Leave me alone
- I am too old for…..
Our bones get very brittle as we age. Hip fractures, broken arms, legs and hands are very common. Lack of balance and vertigo also contribute to falls. So be careful.