This Valentine you can make these special love buns for your loved ones and can make your day more special and romantic.
Ingredients Of Love Buns
- 125g soft butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Heart-shaped sprinkles to decorate
Method Of Love Buns
- Preheat oven to 200 c. Take all ingredients at room temperature.
- Put all of the ingredients for the buns, except for the milk, into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel, to make a smooth dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture into a 12-bun muffin tin lined with muffin papers or heart-patterned cases, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. They should have risen and been golden on top; you want a little peak if possible.
- Let them cool a little in their tin on a rack, and then take them carefully out of the tin to cool in their papers, still on the wire rack.
- This is a topping that has a kind of meringue base, by which you whisk egg whites over heat until they’re stiff and gleaming. Think Mr. Whippy. So make a double boiler with a bowl that will fit snugly over a saucepan of barely simmering water, and put all of the ingredients for the icing, except for the vanilla and sprinkles, into the bowl. Whisk everything with an electric beater until the icing becomes thick and holds peaks like a meringue. This will take about 5 minutes, so be patient.
- Take the bowl off the saucepan and onto a cool surface and keep whisking while you add the vanilla. Then keep whisking until the mixture cools a little.
- You want a proper peaked and whipped covering here, so spoon some icing over each bun, and then dollop another spoonful over in a swirly fashion. Immediately shake over your choice of sprinkles, as the icing will set very quickly.