Marshmallow fondant is easy to make but it is little messy and tricky. You need a little practice to master the art of making fondant. First of all, you must buy some good quality white marshmallows for your fondant. Secondly, you must make fondant at least 24 hours before you need to use it. Always store fondant in air tight jar wrapped in plastic wrap. Never put it in the fridge.
Ingredients of Marshmallow Fondant
- 1 packet marshmallows, 1 pound
- 3-4tbsp water
- Crisco vegetable shortening as requires
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Icing sugar as requires to knead melted marshmallows, 2 pounds
- Gel color
Method Of Marshmallow Fondant
- Take a large microwave safe bowl and put your marshmallows in it. Add 3 tbsp. water and microwave it for one minute. Take the bowl out of an oven and mix it with a rubber spatula and microwave again for 30 seconds till marshmallows melt fully. I recommend microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring after each until it’s completely smooth. You want it totally melted, but not so hot that it’s boiling.
- At this stage add your desired color in melted marshmallows. Add vanilla extract also. Now add powder sugar in a bowl and mix it with a rubber spatula as far as you can. After that use your hands and start mixing and kneading it. Rub shortening on both sides of your hand before kneading. Otherwise, it will be a great mess.
- If at any point it gets dry and doesn’t seem to be coming together enough, add a little more water and keep kneading
- Now at this stage, it will become like a ball. Now on kitchen counter apply some shortening and knead it with your hands into a smooth dough. It will take 3-4 minutes.
- Rub a thin coat of shortening all over the ball of fondant and then wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap and keep it in an airtight container with a lid.
- When you’re ready to use it, unwrap it, knead it and roll it out! If it’s too hard to knead initially, microwave for 10-second intervals. Knead after you warm it each time