I don’t know why but this red velvet cupcakes name always attracts me and I have been planning to try these cupcakes since many months. This recipe is different from other cupcakes because of buttermilk and red food color used in it. I don’t have buttermilk so I used yogurt. You can also make buttermilk by adding 1tbsp vinegar or lemon juice in 1 cup of milk. let it stand for 10 minutes before using it.
Ingredients Of Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 2 tbsp. coco powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Red food color as required. I used 1 tsp.
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
Method Of Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin pan with cup cake liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together flour,coco,baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl cream together the sugar and butter, add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined and creamy.
- With the mixer running on low, add half of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk, make sure its combined and add the remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk making sure to combine everything together but not over mixing. Using a spatula mix the batter from the bottom to make sure nothing is left stuck to the side of the bowl, add enough food coloring to get the desired red color for your cupcakes.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the batter evenly in your prepared pan and bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until when you insert a toothpick in the center it comes out clean.Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- To make the frosting, simply put all the frosting ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until well combined and it has the consistency of a thick frosting.
- Frost the cupcakes either with a little spatula or using a disposable piping bag fitted with a plain large tip.
- Let cool in the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes to set a little before serving.