Taftan is a leavened flour bread from Persian cuisine, Uttar Pradeshi Cuisine (India) and Cuisine of Pakistan, with saffron and small cardamom powder baked in a clay oven.
Ingredients Of Taftan
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup powder milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp. self raising flour
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. yeast
Method Of Taftan
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tbsp. of self raising flour, 2 tbsp. of yeast, and 2 tbsp. of sugar and 3 tbsp. of Luke warm water. Leave aside for 4 -5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the plain flour with 1/4 cup powdered milk, 8 tbsp. yeast, and water mixture. Knead for 10 minutes till smooth dough is formed. Brush it with oil, cover and leave aside for 45 minutes.
- Press the dough with your hands and divide into six rolls. Grease a griddle. With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the 6 balls of dough. Place each disc onto the griddle, and brush oil on top.
- Place the taftan in an oven for 30 minutes. Then place the griddle on a low flame and cook the taftan until it turns golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side.
Brush oil and water l on top of each taftan and serve.