I tried this basbousa recipe by food fusion and this recipe is my favorite now. Even after 3 days, the cake was soft and moist.Basbousa is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake. It is made from a semolina batter and sweetened with rose water simple syrup. It is so soft that it just melts in your mouth. This recipe is must try. Here are some other baking recipes.
Ingredients Of Basbousa
For Sugar Syrup
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- Heat water and sugar together for 3- 4 minutes till sugar melts and the syrup gets a little thick. Add rose water and lemon juice and let it cool down.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups semolina (sooji)
- 1 cup crushed coconut
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Method Of Basbousa
- Whisk eggs and sugar together till sugar dissolves fully. Add semolina, crushed coconut, yogurt, and mix it well.
- Now add sifted flour and baking powder. Mix again.
- Add melted butter and vanilla essence. Pour this in a square dish and leave it for half an hour.
- Put whole almonds on top and bake it for 35-40 minutes. When it is ready then grill it from the top for 5 minutes.
- Cut in squares and pour sugar syrup on top. serve hot or cold. I like it a little warm with my hot mug of coffee.