Jennifer Nickel-Kreisler shares this recipe for Chewy Sugar Cookies. The centers of these cookies are soft and the edges are chewy. The holidays just wouldn’t be the holidays without a plate of sugar cookies. The cookies are buttery and sweet without being overly sweet, they are soft on the inside yet still chewy, and you can eat them plain or frost.
Ingredients Of Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Method Of Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or coat with baking spray).
- In a large bowl with a standing mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract; beat until combined.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and again.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls, and roll in sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet, about 2″ apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until cookies have been set.
- Allow cooling.
- Feel free to frost them or cover them with a glaze, if desired.