Date sweetmeat is a very famous dessert in Arabic countries. It is quick and tasty. Dates are very common and is used in daily food in Arab countries. In traditional meals from the Arab world, everyone sits together. This is an Islamic value as well. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said: Eat together and do not separate, for the blessing is in the company (Ibn Maja).
Sweetmeat is any sweet delicacy of the confectionery or candy kind, as candied fruit, sugar-covered nuts, sugarplums, bonbons, or balls or sticks of candy.
Ingredients Of Date Sweetmeat
- 1 lb dried pitted dates
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 cup walnut pieces, chopped
- 1 cup pistachios, chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Method Of Date Sweetmeat
- Chop the dates roughly, and place them in a heavy stirring pan with ghee.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until dates soften and are combined with ghee.
- Spread half the date mixture in a 23 cm square cake pan.
- Sprinkle walnut pieces over the dates, pressing them lightly.
- Place the remaining date mixture on top, spreading it evenly on top. Sprinkle evenly with toasted sesame seeds, pressing them on lightly.
- Leave until cold and cut into small squares or diamond shapes.
- Store in a sealed container and serve as a sweetmeat.