I love to make desi ghee and i learned this recipe from my mother in law. You can easily make it at home with the cream/malai of milk. What i do is that i collect the cream of fresh milk whole month and then i make ghee out of it. I searched the Google and i found that there is no authentic recipe of desi ghee on net. So guys here is the 100% authentic recipe of making desi ghee at home. It has no smell and it tastes so great.
(this is the picture of butter which we get from milk cream)
(This is pure ghee which we get after heating above butter)
Ingredients Of Desi/Pure Ghee
- 1 large bowl of milk cream/malai
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 glass of cold water
Method Of Desi/Pure Ghee
- Place all the cream of milk in a thick base pan. Add yogurt in it and mix it well. Leave it for overnight.
- In the morning add cold water in it and whisk it with hand beater. Now butter will start coming on surface and white liquid will be separated. Take out the butter. Don’t throw that liquid because its a lassi and you can drink it after adding some salt in it.
- Now put that butter on low flame. It will take one hour and ghee will start coming out of the butter. Stir it occasionally.
- The foam curdles and settle at the bottom. Strain the ghee and pour it in some airtight container. You can use it for months on room temperature.
Tip: If you are making this ghee in summers then use cold water and if you are making it in winter then use hot water.
I love paraths cooked in desi ghee and now I can cook them myself
can you tell me how to make both kinds of khoya.
I will post the recipe of khoya soon and do give your comments after making this ghee.
hey I made ghee [it was awesome] and exact like you pictured but the butter is not that we usually buy from bazar and I eat paraths daily as breakfast.
This butter is different from the one which we buy from market. Its desi butter which we eat with saag and makai ke roti.
How do you mean take malai off the milk
how do we collect this ..sorry if silly question
After boiling milk in a pan for around 5 to 10 minutes, leave the milk to get back to normal temperature. Then you will notice a layer of cream or malai appears on the surface of milk. On that place that pan of milk in the refrigerator for some hours. The malai or cream will be thick and hard enough to be removed and collected from the top.
Many thanks Nausheen …Jazakallah …
Thanks nausheen for your reply
Would you please post the recipe of khoya?
I have posted it somewhere in comments let me find it for you
1. One Can of Evaporated Milk ( Nestle Coronation is one such brand).
2. Dry Milk Powder.
Evaporated Milk is already reduced, if you do not use the evaporated milk then you will have to spend an hour or so by slowly heating the milk to get rid of all the water content from it, so that it gets thicker.
How to make it ?
Take a mixing bowl.
1. Add half the quantity of the Dry Milk Powder.
2. Now pour some evaporated milk in it (just a bit at a time)
3. Now mix it together as a dough (it becomes bit sticky to manage)
4. Add some more evaporated milk or the Dry Milk Powder to this as needed to achieve a tight consistency.
5. Make this in the form of a ball, smear your hands in water to smoothen this ball.
6. Keep this ball in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
7. Now using a grator – grate this in another clean bowl.
Khoya is ready. You can keep it in the fridge for a day or so, but do not store it longer.
At home we usually collect the cream of a month…but then we keep the cream in the freezer…so I need to defrost the cream and then add yoghurt and keep it over night yea???
the butter milk which we get the next day is it high in fat content???jazakALLAH
yes the fats must be high in it and i also freeze the cream and then i defrost it.
And you have to leave it overnight covered with lid.
Hi…this might be a stupid question but what do collect the malai from?
collect malai from fresh milk.
I’ve made ghee from malai, but have never added or heard of adding yoghurt. I just wanted to clarify that if yoghurt is heated, won’t it cause any tummy trouble?
you have to add one or two tablespoon yogurt in malai and it will not create any problem
should we put in referigerator overnight or at room temperature?
You can use in at room temperature.
Thanks for the receipe neel, i want to ask you a question can readymade Amul cream used for the receipe
i dont think that cream will work…………………