Gajrela is kind of kheer made with carrots, milk, sugar and rice. You can serve it hot or cold. Gajrela is different from carrots halwa which is dry and made in pure ghee without using rice. Here is the traditional recipe of carrot kheer . You can also add khoya in it for more thick texture. This dessert is usually made in winters because sweet and red carrots are easily available in winter season.
Ingredients Of Gajrela
- 1 kg carrots, grated
- 3-liter milk
- Sugar to taste
- 1 cup rice, washed and soaked
- Crushed almonds for garnishing
- 2 tbsp. pure desi ghee
- 3-4 small cardamoms
Method of Gajrela
- In a pan heat 2tbsp oil and fry small cardamoms in it for few seconds. Now add grated carrots and fry them for 5 minutes.
- Add washed rice and milk in it. Cook it on low flame till it starts thickens. It will take nearly one hour.
- When it thickens then add sugar according to your taste and mix it.
- At this stage, rice will soft and mixed in milk. Cook more for half an hour and keep stirring it.
- Take out in a dish and garnish it with crushed almonds. This recipe will make three dishes.
- Serve hot or cold.