In the following recipe for herbed mussel tarts you can bake the bread up to 6 hours ahead and then you have to store it in an airtight container. Cook mussels up to 2 hours ahead, cover, and refrigerate. Assemble and bake when you want to serve your guests.
Ingredients Of Herbed Mussel Tarts
- 1kg fresh black mussels
- 2 cups of water
- 45gm butter softened
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 12 slices white bread
- 30 gm. butter, melted
Cooking Method Of Herbed Mussel
- Scrub mussel well and remove beards. Place mussels in a pan with water, cover, and cook gently until just opened. Don’t overcook, discard any that don’t open.
- Cover the mussels immediately with cold water and remove the flesh from the shells and if mussels are very large then cut them in half. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Beat butter until smooth, add garlic, chives, and parsley. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
- Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin and using a biscuit cutter, cut a circle from each slice.
- Brush both sides of each circle with the melted butter and use them to line 12 patty tins. Bake 8 minutes or until they are crisp and lightly golden.
- Divide the mussels among the hot bread cases, carefully spread herb butter over the top. Bake for another 5 minutes. Serve at once.