These homemade low carb tortillas are made with a mixture of almond and coconut flour. These are great for the keto diet as you can add any filling of your choice and your meal for a day is ready without much effort. this recipe is very easy and quick. These are gluten-free too. This recipe is shared by Tammy Bowden Kerrivan.
Ingredients Of Homemade Low Carb Tortillas
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt depending on whether sweet or savory
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons water as needed
Method Of Homemade Low Carb Tortillas
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Note: you can alternatively whisk everything in a large bowl and use a hand or stand mixer for the following steps.
- Pour in apple cider vinegar with the food processor running. Once it has been distributed evenly, pour in the egg. Followed by the water. Stop the food processor once the dough forms into a ball. The dough will be sticky to the touch.
- Wrap dough in cling film and knead it through the plastic for a minute or two. Think of it a bit like a stress ball. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes (and up to 3-4 days in the fridge).
- If cooking on the stovetop (tortillas, naan)Heat up a skillet (preferably) or pan over medium heat. You can test the heat by sprinkling a few water droplets, if the drops evaporate immediately your pan is too hot. The droplets should ‘run’ through the skillet. Transfer to skillet and cook over medium heat for just 3-6 seconds (very important). Flip it over immediately (using a thin spatula or knife), and continue to cook until just lightly golden on each side (though with the traditional charred marks), 30 to 40 seconds.
- The key is not to overcook them, as they will no longer be pliable or puff up. ((I overcooked mine but they were so yummy and they didn’t crumble I used my dad’s tortilla press with wax paper and then rolled it out thinner).
- Now you can add any keto friendly sauce, vegetables, meat in it and enjoy.