Tracy Bodoni shared this recipe for Italian Lemon Drop Cookies (Anginetti). Authentic Italian Anginetti (also known as Italian wedding or Christmas cookies) are small and soft round cookies, often lemon, orange, anise, or almond flavored. These cookies are soft and delicious and pack an awesome lemon-flavored punch! And they’re super-easy to make! Lemon-lovers must try!
Ingredients Italian Lemon Drop Cookies (Anginetti)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
Note: If using fresh lemon juice, plan on using about 2 tablespoons of citrus juice for every 1 teaspoon of lemon extract called for in the recipe)
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 cup water
Method Of Italian Lemon Drop Cookies (Anginetti)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well. Add flour mixture, and mix well until smooth texture. (dough will be a bit sticky) If the dough seems light-colored, add a drop or 2 of yellow food coloring. Chill dough until firm.
- With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until firm and lightly brown.
- Remove cookies from the cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.
- Combine the Icing ingredients in a bowl until smooth. You want it more thick than thin, but still runny.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies into the glaze, then return to the wire rack, allowing the glaze to drip down the sides of the cookie.
- Top with sprinkles or a little lemon zest, while the glaze is still wet.
- Store in an airtight container (if you want to freeze the cookies, freeze unfrosted and frost once thawed).