This lemon cake is very light in texture and the taste of freshly squeezed lemons gives it a heavenly taste. You can serve this with whipped cream or you can drizzle it with a lemon glaze as I did. This cake tastes very much like Starbucks lemon cake. You can bake this cake in a Bundt pan or in a loaf pan. Every single bite of this cake is full of yummy and tangy lemon flavor. Take all ingredients to room temperature.
Ingredients For Lemon Cake
- 180gm flour
- 112 gm. butter
- 150 gm. sugar, grind
- 3 eggs
- 3 to 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 100ml milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- a few tbsp. of warm water
Method Of lemon Cake
- Grind the sugar to a powder and set it aside.
- Sift the flour twice with the salt and baking powder.
- Grease and line a pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until light and creamy. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Now add the freshly squeezed lemon into the milk and stir. The milk will thicken slightly by adding the lemon, that’s ok.
- Add a third of the flour and beat until combined, then add half the milk. Don’t panic if it looks curdled, it will be fine. Again beat the batter until milk is mixed in. Add another third of the flour, mix it in, and then add the remaining milk. Finally add the last of the flour, the zest, and the vanilla essence. Beat just until everything is well combined. Do NOT over-mix at this point, you can even finish up the mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula. The batter will be very light and fluffy.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let it cool completely before frosting/slicing.
For a simple lemon glaze, take 1 cup icing sugar, add 1 tsp of lemon juice (freshly squeezed) and add them in, keep mixing until the glaze is of pourable consistency. You can add a few tbsp. of warm water as well for a less intense lemony flavor. Pour on the cake and allow it to set.