Mesothelioma is a form of rare cancer caused by inhaled asbestos fibers. People can now prolong their life span with the help of new medicines and chemotherapy. People with mesothelioma have a tough journey and lots of questions circling in their heads about this disease. I will try to clear it in this article. Inhaled asbestos fibers forms in the lining of the lungs, abdomen, or heart. The life expectancy for most mesothelioma patients is approximately 12 months after diagnosis. Here in this article, I will cover mesothelioma, causes, and treatment with the help of food. Here is a detailed article on food that helps in fighting cancer.
Symptoms Of Mesothelioma Cancer
Symptoms of this cancer appears very late when it is already starting spreading against the chest wall and the abdominal cavity.
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Dry cough
- Fever or night sweats
- Fluid around the lungs
- Weakness in muscles
Treatment Of Mesothelioma Cancer
A biopsy is the only mesothelioma test that confirms a diagnosis. Doctors may use additional diagnostic procedures. An early mesothelioma diagnosis may increase a patient’s eligibility for all treatment options.
The most common treatment for mesothelioma involves a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Supportive treatments can help relieve symptoms and improve quality of life for many mesothelioma patients.
Mesothelioma is not curable at any stage, but the prognosis for stage 1 or stage 2 is more favorable than later stages. Patients with peritoneal mesothelioma typically survive longer than pleural mesothelioma patients, but there is no definitive cure for any type of this cancer.
While there is still no cure for mesothelioma, the improvements made within mesothelioma treatments and diagnostic tests give hope for the future. Patients are able to fight their cancer with new tools that have enabled some patients to survive for years beyond their initial prognosis.
Food That Fight Mesothelioma Cancer
Mesothelioma doctors recommend that cancer patients eat foods rich in nutrients such as eggs, fruit and salmon. Also, patients should have a diet high in protein with starchy vegetables and plenty of water to counter the effects of mesothelioma treatment.
The American Cancer Society defines a healthy diet as one rich in plant foods and low in processed foods and red meats.
Specific guidelines include the following:
- Eat at least 2.5 cups of fruits and vegetables every day. These foods should be included with every meal and also eaten for snacks. Consume a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and avoid fruit juices that aren’t 100 percent juice.
- Choose whole grains over refined grains. Whole-grain foods are those made from the entire grain seed. Compared to refined grains, whole grains are lower in calorie density and higher in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Cutting down on salt, sugar, excess starch, and processed foods.
- Avoiding food additives and foods which have been smoked, cured, or chargrilled.
- The best chance to improve your mesothelioma prognosis is to access the right kind of treatment shortly after being diagnosed.
I think that asbestos must be banned in the whole world. Last week, the U.S House of Representatives failed to advance the Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act (H.R 1603). This once-promising legislation would have effectively banned asbestos in the U.S.
Even baby products are not saved anymore. Johnson & Johnson a big company has agreed to settle an estimated 1,000 cases linking its talc based baby powder to asbestos related cancers.