I always use this cake recipe for all my cakes and cupcakes. In zebra cake you just have to divide your cake batter in two portions. One without coco powder and one is with coco powder and then by layering we can give it a zebra texture.
Ingredients Of Zebra Cake
- 1 cup unsalted white butter
- 1 cup grinded sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp. coco powder
Method Of Zebra Cake
- Beat butter and sugar till they are creamy and combined with electric beaters.
- Add egg one by one and beat them.
- Add vanilla essence and baking powder and beat it again.
- Now add flour and mix it well
- Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions. Keep one portion plain. Add cocoa powder into another and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Lightly grease a 9″ round pan.
- The most important part is assembling the cake batter in a baking pan. This is what you do. Scoop 3 heaped tablespoons of plain batter (you can also use a ladle that would hold 3 tablespoons) into the middle of the baking pan. Then scoop 3 tablespoons of cocoa batter and pour it in the center on top of the plain batter. IMPORTANT! Do not stop and wait until the previous batter spreads – KEEP GOING! Do not spread the batter or tilt the pan to distribute the mixture. It will spread by itself and fill the pan gradually. Continue alternating the batters until you finish them.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. Do not open the oven door at least the first 20 minutes or the cake will shrink and will not rise. To check if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick into the center. It should come out clean when ready.
- Remove from the oven. Immediately run a small thin knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake, and then invert the cake onto a cooking rack.
- Turn the cake back over and let cool. You can sprinkle the top of the cake with some powdered (confectioner’s) sugar or leave it plain.