This recipe for snickerdoodle cookies is shared by Jennifer Nickel. She is a great baker and I loved all her recipes. They all are easy and you can make these cookies for your next season baking holiday tray. This recipe will make 36 cookies.
For storing cookies, place cooled cookies in a plastic container or plastic bag with a piece or two of bread to keep cookies soft. Why is the cream of tartar in snickerdoodle cookies? It’s what separates a tangy, chewy snickerdoodle from an ordinary cinnamon-coated sugar cookie. The acid in the cream of tartar gives snickerdoodles their distinctive tangy flavor, and the chew happens because the cream of tartar prevents sugar in the cookie dough from crystalizing into crunchiness. You can also freeze balls after coating.
Ingredients Of Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For Coating
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Method Of Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups white sugar, butter, and eggs together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture until the dough holds together.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of white sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Form dough into 2-teaspoon-size balls and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place dough balls, about 2 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the center rack for 8 to 9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. I used candy holly and piped on a little white chocolate and placed the holly candy on top and it dried hard and held in place.
- When removing cookies from the oven, they make look doughy still. Allowing them to continue to cook on the cookie sheet out of the oven prevents hard cookies.