Taftan is a leavened flour bread from Persian cuisine, Uttar Pradesh Cuisine (India), and Cuisine of Pakistan, with saffron and small cardamom powder baked in a clay oven. We used to have this in Karachi but I never see it anywhere in Lahore. Please let me know where I can get this. Meanwhile, I will make it at home and enjoy it. You can also make naan at home with this recipe link
Ingredients Of Taftan
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup powder milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp. self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. yeast
Method Of Taftan
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tbsp. of self-raising flour, 2 tbsp. of yeast, and 2 tbsp. of sugar and 3 tbsp. of Luke warm water. Leave aside for 4 -5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the plain flour with 1/4 cup powdered milk, 8 tbsp. yeast, and water mixture. Knead for 10 minutes till a smooth dough is formed. Brush it with oil, cover and leave aside for 45 minutes.
- Press the dough with your hands and divide it into six rolls. Grease a griddle. With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the 6 balls of dough. Place each disc onto the griddle, and brush oil on top.
- Place the taftan in an oven for 30 minutes. Then place the griddle on a low flame and cook the taftan until it turns golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side.
Brush oil and water l on top of each taftan and serve.
Why is the “saffron and small cardamom powder” in the title not in the ingredients?
there are many types taftan and the above recipe dont need that saffron