The end of the party or wedding season leaves us looking and feeling rather the worse for wear. Late nights, unhealthy food and the constant application of make-up all have an impact on our looks and general well-being. So how about trying the time to detox plan to get the glow back on your cheeks and the swing back in your step.
The skin is the body’s biggest organ. It plays a crucial role in ridding our internal organs of wastes and toxins. In fact, a third of all toxins are excreted through the skin. Other factors like stress, too much alcohol or caffeine, pollution, smoking, poor exercise and eating too much junk food can overload our bodies with more toxins that it can handle. This can often make us feel and look ill.
By detoxing the body, it helps to rid the body of these toxins before they get a chance to do some serious damage. Like most people, you keep yourself clean enough on the outside, but you probably don’t spend much time thinking about detoxifying or cleansing your body from inside out.
Good detox gives your body’s digestive system an opportunity to reset and rid itself of accumulated stores of toxins from all the rich food, excessive drinking, smoking and sedentary living you have been indulging in and not just over the party season.
How To Detox
The goal is not to overload the digestive system with rich food. But eating a variety of fruits, except citrus fruits, is an excellent way of cleansing a sluggish liver.
- Drink lots of water
- Relaxation is important
- Try skin brushing as a way of revitalizing your body
- Exercise gently
Detox Side- Effects
These side effects show you are getting rid of toxins. If you have any concerns, see your doctor:
- A headache
- More or smellier sweat
- Feeling unusual emotions
- A dry mouth
- Spots, pimples or rashes
Simple Detox Weekend Guide
If you have not been through the detoxing process before, then take things slowly with perhaps a short, 2-day detox. A weekend is an excellent option because it allows you to take a break from your normal routine.
- Start the day with a cleansing drink of hot water and lemon. Don’t forget to keep drinking lots of water throughout the day.
- Treat your skin to a skin brush, and then have a long soak in a bath filled with relaxing essential oils.
- Have a yummy fruit salad breakfast, and then relax.
- After lunch (fruit only again), go for an easy walk.
- Eat your evening meal (fruit only).
- Go to bed early.
Even if you cant take out whole days for a full detox, try some simple detox practices into your daily routine:
- Start each morning with half a lemon squeezed into hot water, instead of your tea or coffee.
- Drink 1.5 liters of water by sipping slowly throughout the day.
- Make a salad dressing with olive oil, walnut oil or flax seed oil mixed with balsamic or wine vinegar, and keep on hand in the fridge. Add mustard, honey, herb or garlic according to taste.
- Avoid butter and margarine, use olive oil for cooking. Choose healthy cooking methods, steaming, baking and stir-frying, with minimal oil.
- Detox your environment by clearing away any clutter. A calming environment will help you to recharge your energy levels.
However, if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have a kidney, liver or heart problems, or are recovering from an illness, then consult your doctor.